University entrance preparation for international students
(english.legalinfo.gov.cn)| Updated : 2017-12-21Print Print
With a 5,000-year history, China is the origin of the oriental culture and the root of the cultures of many Asian countries can be traced back to Chinese culture. Chinese government has always attached great importance to the issues concerning international students. International student education has started since the second year after the founding of the People's Republic of China, that is, since 1950. In 2010, the Chinese government promulgated Studying Abroad Program in China, which proposes that by 2020, the number of international students in institutions of higher education, primary and secondary schools in mainland China will have reached 500,000. This part will be based on relevant Chinese laws and regulations and introduce relevant legal information to international students studying in China so as to help them to have a wonderful time during their study in China.
Basic requirements for studying in China
International students shall abide by Chinese laws and regulations, respect China's social morality and customs, comply with university rules and regulations, respect international students, cherish unity and friendship, and have good moral character and habits. Besides, they are expected to study hard, complete the required courses, and master modern scientific and cultural knowledge and professional skills. Furthermore, it's necessary for them to take exercise actively and pay attention to hygiene so as to stay healthy.
Laws and regulations concerning studying in China
(1) Education Law of the People's Republic of China
(2) Higher Education Law of the People's Republic of China
(3) Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China
(4) Regulations on the Administration of Institutions of Higher Education Accepting International Students Studying in China
The competent authorities in charge of international students studying in China
The Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China is in charge of the issues concerning international students studying in China by developing the guidelines and policies of accepting international students, managing Chinese Government Scholarships, coordinating and directing various regions and institutions of higher education to accept international students and assessing the administration and education quality of international students in various regions and institutions of higher education.
The Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China commissions China Scholarship Council to handle the enrollment and specific administration of international students.
Education categories of studying in China
Institutions of higher education provide education for academic qualifications and education for non-academic qualifications for international students. Education for academic qualifications includes special course education, regular course education, master degree programs and doctoral degree programs；education for non-academic qualifications includes for general scholar programs and senior scholar programs.
(1) Undergraduate programs: applicants for undergraduate programs must have the academic qualification equivalent to senior high school certificate and be under the age of 25. The duration of study is 4 to 6 years.
(2) Master degree programs: applicants for master degree programs must pass the postgraduate entrance examination of China or have out academic performance as graduates at universities in China, be recommended by their universities to be exempted from taking the exam, and be under the age of 35. The duration of study is 2 to 3 years.
(3) Doctoral degree programs: applicants for doctoral degree programs must be recommended by two associate professors or professors and pass the test of relevant Chinese universities and be under the age of 40. The duration of study is 2 to 3 years.
(4) General scholar programs: applicants for General Scholar program must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study, be under the age of 35, and continue the study in the original major. The duration of study is 1 to 2 years.
(5) Senior scholar programs: applicants for Senior Scholar program must have the academic qualification equivalent to a master degree in China, or obtain the qualification for pursuing doctoral degree programs, further their study on a certain subject under the instruction of a Chinese supervisor, and be under the age of 45. The duration of study is generally 1 year.
As of November 20, 2012, 208 institutions of higher education in China have enrolled international students in more than 20 cities across the country. The concerned majors include liberal arts, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, art, sports and so on. 5. Application requirements for studying in China
A foreign citizen who applies to study in a university in China shall have appropriate qualifications and meet the admission requirements, have a reliable economic security and a guarantor of affairs in China.
Universities will review, test and assess the admission qualification of the foreigners applying for studying in China. The admission criteria are determined by the universities independently. Those students who receive education for academic qualifications in Chinese shall take the exam of HSK.
The admission of international students is determined by universities. Universities shall give priority to enrolling international students in the national plan, and then enroll intercollegiate exchange international students and international students at their own expense.
Universities can also enroll international students admitted by or transferred from other universities under the precondition of getting the agreement of the original universities.
Chinese government sets up Chinese Government Scholarships for international students studying in China. Chinese Government Scholarships include scholarships for bachelor degree students, scholarships for master degree students, scholarships for doctoral degree students, Chinese language training program, general scholar program and senior scholar program.
Based on the agreement signed between Chinese government and foreign governments as well as the need of the exchange between China and foreign countries, the Ministry of Education develops the enrollment plan for international students getting Chinese Government Scholarships.
The international students studying in China that get Chinese Government Scholarships shall be subject to annual review of the qualification for the scholarship. The assessment is carried out by universities in accordance with relevant regulations. If international students fail the assessment, the qualification for getting Chinese Government Scholarships shall be suspended or cancelled in accordance with the regulations.
Local people's governments and institutions of higher education can independently or jointly set up scholarships for international students if necessary. Upon the approval of institutions of higher education and competent educational authorities at provincial levels, Chinese and foreign enterprises, institutions, social groups and other social organizations and individuals can also set up scholarships for international students without attaching unreasonable conditions.